Water pollution is contamination of water bodies such as lakes, rivers, oceans, as well as groundwater. It occurs when pollutants reach these water bodies, without treatment. Waste from homes, factories and other buildings get into the water bodies. Water pollution occur when pollutants are discharged directly or indirectly into water bodies without enough treatment. Pollutants get into water mainly by human factors.
Over 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, less than a third is taken up by land. As Earth’s population continues to grow, people are putting ever increasing pressure on the planet’s water resources. Water pollution not only affects individual living species but also populations and entire functioning ecosystems that exist in the waters. Oceans, rivers, and other inland waters are being “squeezed” by human activities not so they take up less room, but so their quality is reduced. Poorer water quality means water pollution. The main cause of Water pollution are factories, industries which release their waste material into water . In this way they pour gallons of waste into a river. It will affect the water and it will have an effect on the health of all of the vegetation, animals, and humans whose lives rely upon the river.
Types of water pollution
There are 7 different types of water pollutions named as
1. Surface Water Pollution
2. Groundwater Pollution
3. Microbial Pollution
4. Oxygen Depletion Pollution
5. Nutrient Pollution
6. Suspended Matter Pollution
7. Chemical Pollution
Effects of water pollution
- Water pollution is harmful to humans and animals.
- Death of aquatic animals.
- Water pollution can drastically change or destory ecosystems
- Heavy metals accumulate in water sources making the water toxic
How to reduce the water pollution
- Education: Making people aware of the problem is the first step to solving it.
- Laws: UNESCO provide some laws to make water pure.
- Economics: whoever causes pollution should have to pay to clean it up, one way or another.
- Our clean future: Work together to keep the environment clean. So, the plants animals and people who depend on it remain healthy.